• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Your preferred way to consume your Star Wars stories?

Your preferred way to consume your Star Wars stories?

• Live-action TV series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Animated series

• Novel series

• Comic book series

• Video game storylines

• Total voters

Cedric

All warfare is based on deception
View attachment 114So, we've got plenty of tales and sagas that have been brought to life through various mediums, each offering a unique way to experience the thrills and mysteries of the galaxy far, far away. Whether it's the immersive visuals of live-action, the creative freedom of animation, the deep dives possible in novels, the dynamic storytelling of comics, or the interactive adventures in video games, each medium has its own charm and devoted fan base.

But what's your preferred way to consume your Star Wars stories, and why?

• Live-action TV series: Do series like "The Mandalorian" and "The Book of Boba Fett" capture the essence of Star Wars for you?
  • Animated series: Does the style and storytelling of "The Clone Wars" or "Rebels" resonate with you the most?
  • Novel series: Are the expansive narratives found in Star Wars novels the ultimate way to explore the universe?
  • Comic book series: Do the visuals and serialized storytelling of comics like "Darth Vader" or "Doctor Aphra" hold a special place in your Star Wars heart?
  • Video game storylines: Are the interactive narratives of games like "Knights of the Old Republic" or "Jedi: Fallen Order" your preferred way to engage with Star Wars lore?
Cast your vote and let us know what you think makes your chosen medium special. Share your most cherished moments or argue why your preferred type of series is superior when it comes to delivering the ultimate Star Wars experience.

Video games have the most unexplored potential I believe, from the liberty of using a classic engine to build a campaign to a fine crafted interactive experience. But this has never been the primary appeal of the franchise I have to concede. A personal favorite but destined as a sideshow unless we see a modern day KOTOR to capture the imagination. Fallen Order and Survivor deserve their praise, but they do not offer potentially revolutionary concepts and this is what the game sector needs to offer to truly elevate itself as a medium. Unless we have a miracle or a genius I doubt any studio will be this chancy though. The reward rarely outweighs the risk in mainstream game development.

Live action movies can be tricky but when they sell, oh do they do the job. They're really the building blocks to which all other media just expands. The stumbling of modern media comes down to stumbling from its building block trilogies just as the OT and PT were the building blocks of star wars as we know it. Any other trilogy will undoubtedly face the highest pressure though I wonder what a brilliant old republic trilogy could do. I expect we'll mostly see more solo (not that one) or otherwise more standalone films though.

Right now much of the future is carried in shows which might be for the best, exploring different tones and approaches with content that lasts as long as it carries favor. Less risky and more off brand potential than full movies/trilogies. The main hurdle for me is that I dislike piecemeal watching and I prefer to binge, so realistically I only get pieces until a show is complete. At that time I prefer to consume it on the spot as a very long, assuredly multi day experience movie. It's rewarding enough but I think I'd like to see other mediums intersperse whenever possible. Though I cheat and pick up a season here and there before sometimes.

I have a handful of books but I'm no hardcore collector so either one stands out as being particularly well received that I should get or I just happen upon it and it joins my collection. Some novel material has left an impact and I do read from time to time, so it's a valid avenue. The novelization of Return of the Jedi is an example of something I recommend any fan of books and Star Wars to delve into.

The animated shows generally aren't quite my cup of tea but by all means they should exist. TCW especially has been a building block we will see much later/Filoni content trace back to, as we already have with shows like Ashoka. I tend to be mixed on this. I'm also one of the weird ones who holds the far shorter original clone wars in fairly high regard despite its extremely stylized approach and with it, force quandaries.

Comics and others from there strike me as novelties more than anything else, without adequate adaption to even substantially impact the canon let alone attract a particularly committed audience. It's an expansion, as with toys or video games, and was never a core delivery for this galaxy. But I'd still like to meet someone who views them more favorably.

I prefer the live-action TV series because they bring the Star Wars universe to life with their visuals, immersive storytelling, and ability to capture the essence of the franchise. Shows like "The Mandalorian" and "The Book of Boba Fett" have created some of my most cherished Star Wars moments.

Back