• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Why does everyone HATE Supreme Commander 2?

• Thread starter Thread starter Al
  • Start date Start date

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
Another interesting approach from Zade. Supreme Commander 2 catches a lot of flak as a sequel to one of, if not the best RTS made. So why does everyone hate it?

For me, I think it deviated too much from the original's formula. You can see that the first game was about large-scale battles and also the strategies are so complex. These are definitely neccesary to enhance immersive experience. But SC2 is so simple, making it less engaging for hardcore fans.

For me, I think it deviated too much from the original's formula. You can see that the first game was about large-scale battles and also the strategies are so complex. These are definitely neccesary to enhance immersive experience. But SC2 is so simple, making it less engaging for hardcore fans.
It seems you are right! I also think supreme commander's poor optimization and bugs didn't really help. I mean, nobody likes a game that crashes every hour or has its units stuck in terrain. It's a bit frustrating.

Zane’s video suggests it’s a great game but a bad sequel. Do you think that’s a fair comment?

Lack of innovation and poor technical performance were my major turn-offs. It went from a serious and complex RTS to a casual experience which makes It look like they lost sight of what actually made the original great.

Back