• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Who is the most influential RTS game designer?

Vortex

Gets mad then gets over it
A lot might say Chris Metzen from Blizzard or Brett Sperry who co-founded Westwood Studios. Others might suggest it's Chris Taylor for his work on TA and SupCom. Who would you pick?

It is no easy task to select just one game designer who has left a major impact on the real-time strategy genre. There are many highly skilled and talented individuals who have made meaningful contributions to this field. However, if I absolutely had to choose one, it would undoubtedly be Chris Metzen. Known for his participation in developing the lauded "Starcraft" and "Warcraft" series, Metzen possesses an extraordinary talent for crafting deeply engaging and enthralling gaming universes that effectively captivate players. What I truly appreciate about Metzen's work is his ability to infuse genuine emotion into his games and create unforgettable characters who resonate with the players long after they have put down the game controller.

I would skip those guys and go with Bruce Shelley. He was the one who created the iconic Age of Empires series. The success of Age of Empires made popular the RTS genre worldwide as they are today.

Back