• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What makes RTS games so enjoyable?

eLdavis

Gets mad then gets over it
I am still pretty new to the world of RTS gameplay, but I have a friend who has been playing for years now, he always talks about RTS with so much joy and he could actually play it for hours, it got me curious on what actually makes RTS enjoyable? I would like to hear your personal experience on this aspect.

I'm too old to play FPS games now. I just don't have the reflexes to make critical moves fast enough. RTS is a slower pace and seeing your plans come to fruition (or not!) has always been fascinating to me. I love to take my time on campaign missions, building up overwhelming forces or using clever strategies to win.

Most RTS players love the game's competitive nature and the opportunity to use their strong strategic, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. They also appreciate immersing themselves in the game. Like you, I am quite new to RTS games. Even though I have played a few RTS games before, I do not play them frequently so I consider myself kind of new to RTS games. However, I appreciate it, particularly if I win. LOL. I am kind of slow when it comes to making decisions and using the controls so I do not enjoy its fast-paced nature that much.

With RTS games, you are rest assured that you won't be rushed by how fast the gameplay is. So, you get to enjoy every moment of the game, which is quite good and impressive. This is one of the benefits of playing RTS games.

That really depends on the game, @Noobslayer

Try StarCraft 2 in a pro-league the speed of APM is out of this world.

Having to play the game's in real time is what makes it so much interesting. With this, it creating a fast-paced environment where I need to make decisions quickly or pay the price. Also, it comes with in depth gameplay that's very captivating.

Gameplay: a lot of people like to see progress, make decisions, etc. because it is a way of escaping the real world. They can be very addictive, which can be a problem, but if you play it healthy, it makes you all good, plus the games aren't brain rot, so you can get some brain activity there.

The combination of strategy and execution are what makes RTS games enjoyable. For me, I love to plan and build my base l, manage my resources, and train units. What makes it more interesting is the thrill of executing my plan and dealing with my opponents squarely.

The multiplayer aspect is indeed a huge part of the fun. Playing with friends or online opponents is exctly what added a whole new level of excitement. The trash talk, the comebacks, the teamwork are all part of the wonderful experience.

For me, it's the strategies and decision-making and seeing how both affect gameplay and my outcomes. Also, playing alongside friends in a multiplayer environment takes the gaming experience to the next level. The camaraderie, the banter, the comebacks, and the shared victories re all very enticing and addictive.

The multiplayer aspect is indeed a huge part of the fun. Playing with friends or online opponents is exctly what added a whole new level of excitement. The trash talk, the comebacks, the teamwork are all part of the wonderful experience.
Being able to enjoy the name in multiplayer made is very good. Even though it's not only RTS games that offer this feature, but it makes it very entertaining to play like that.

I love how RTS games challenge my ability to plan and execute strategies on the fly. When I can outsmart the opponent and turn the tide of battle, it gives adrenaline rush. The pressure to manage resources and adapt to changing situations makes the game intense and exciting.

I feel that RTS games require critical thinking. And games that challenge one's mental capacity are definitely ones I can play extensively. Besides, playing RTS games takes me away from the fast, action packed games in the other genres. Not bad to diversify sometimes right? 🙂

The RTS games are so unique because I can play with different strategies using different maps, factions, and playstyles. I always find something very new to enjoy. And, of course, the community is also amazing.

I enjoy building my empire, and having lot's of troop. It's fun to level up, and unlock cool things that help you advance as you play more.

I enjoy building my empire, and having lot's of troop. It's fun to level up, and unlock cool things that help you advance as you play more.
This is something good about RTS games. If you're making big progress in the game, you're going to be seeing the results. If you want to improve, you know exactly where and what to focus on.

I personally enjoy RTS games because it teaches me real life skills. One of such is how to make quick decisions and get them right. When you are a RTS player, you would learn the power of planning deep into the future and being able to build such abilities really make me to enjoy RTS games.

This is something good about RTS games. If you're making big progress in the game, you're going to be seeing the results. If you want to improve, you know exactly where and what to focus on.
The only thing I dislike about RTS is after I make big progress, and I take a break. I come back to getting all my troops destroyed.

RTS games, to be fun you have to have a natural taste for this type of genre, I think RTS give you power over the map, your colonies, armies and so on and it is quite fun to expand throughout the map and win battles, I think that's the most fun of the RTS.

I think that one of the most enjoyable things about RTS video games is being able to develop your strategy and make sure that said strategy is a success. The fact of putting your mind to work and having everything turn out well is one of the most fun things of this type of video games.

Back