• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What is the significance of macro and micro management in RTS games?

Maria

All warfare is based on deception
Because I am not an expert in RTS games, there is still a lot for me to learn. Many of you are experienced RTS players, that is for sure. Could you help explain the importance of macro- and micromanagement in RTS games? In addition, have you been able to successfully accomplish both in your RTS gaming experiences? Or do you find yourself giving more significance on macro or micro management? Some RTS players combine both and make sure to strike a balance.

For me, Any RTS game without unit production is half ass. With such games, your gameplay is limited. You have predefined scenarios or if the game allows you to create custom scenarios, you create your own. However, what you can do is still limited by the scenario you created.

A RTS game which includes a reasonable economic aspect (neither too simple, nor too complex), make the game more fun and allows for doing much more. For example, I can spam one specific troop and enjoy the onslaught. Sometimes just making money effectively and fast feels good!

When a detailed economic aspect is included, micromanagement will come into play automatically.

Back