• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What is the best civilization to play in Age of Empires II?

The General

All warfare is based on deception
Choosing the best civilization to play in any Age of Empires games will give you the best gaming experience. It's why when you want to play, making sure to start with the right civilization is very necessary.

Age of Empires II fans, what's the best civilization you've used to start playing the game?

If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend going with Franks or Britons. They’re pretty straightforward and strong, giving you a good balance of eco and military might. As you get more comfortable, try out some of the more unique civs like Mongols or Mayans for a different kind of challenge.

If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend going with Franks or Britons. They’re pretty straightforward and strong, giving you a good balance of eco and military might. As you get more comfortable, try out some of the more unique civs like Mongols or Mayans for a different kind of challenge.

Nice recommendations, though are there any you would say might be overpowered and really make the game easy?

I think it depends a lot on taste, the one I like the most are the Britons, but I also really like the Mongols, it all depends on your playing style and preferences.

Back