• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What features you would like to see in an RTS game.

Mac Tavish

Cpt. MacTavish
I am looking for other people's opinion on this matter. I'll keep on updating this post to make it better based on the responses I receive.
I'll start with myself.

Must Have
1. Both Economic & Military Aspect. Examples: Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold Legends, Stronghold2, Stronghold Crusader 2
2. Reasonably Detailed Economic Aspect (Neither too simple, nor too complex that turns it into a city builder). Examples: Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold Legends, Stronghold2, Stronghold Crusader 2
3. Diplomacy/Alliances. Examples: Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold Legends, Stronghold2, Stronghold Crusader2, Rise of Nations

Nice to Have
1. For a military oriented game, I would like to see focus on supplies. This change the dimension of game, You can't just take your units and magically shoot infinitely. You have to arrange & protect supplies. This forces you think differently and take measures which are similar in real world conflict. Examples: Cold War Conflicts
2. Dynamic Diplomacy. It's when you can create non-aggression pacts, defence pacts & alliances within a game session/match. Examples: Rise of Nations.
3. Realistic Units as per the theme/era. If it's modern game, please include modern units which exist in real world. Same for medieval Era. Examples: Cold War Conflicts, Stronghold Series
4. Fog of war. This forces you to invest in recon and increases the element of surprise. A whole new set of strategies are possible because of this. Examples: Rise of Nations, Cold War Conflicts
5. Interactable World. You can interact with map objects and make use of them, for example hiding/positioning infantry in buildings and forcing an urban warfare on enemy. Examples: Cold War Conflicts
6. Allies Support in realistic way. If you have to send supplies to allies, this should be done on map. This will put geographical constraints and supply convoy needs to be protected. If it can't be protected, you can't effectively support your ally. Examples: Stronghold Legends

Back