• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What defines a CLASSIC strategy game?

Vortex

Gets mad then gets over it
Is it just age? Like are older games automatically classics? Can some new games be considered classics based on other criteria?

The word classic can also mean a creation of the highest excellence. So when a product is amazing and captures the audience we can refer to such products as Classics.
It does not have to always be from the olden days, it just has to be somewhat of a masterpiece.

In my opinion a classic game is one that was excellent when it came out, has lived through the test of time, and that is still highly rated by players. Age of Empires would be one IMO because so many people still play it, and its status as a classic was cemented by the many people who are raving about the latest entrant into the series, Age of Empires IV.

It does not have to always be from the olden days, it just has to be somewhat of a masterpiece.
I agree it has to be a masterpiece. There are games I consider instant classics, because of how good they are. The age of a game doesn't define whether or not it's a classic.

I think that a classic RTS is a video game that was ahead of its time and was very good in all or almost all aspects at the time when the video game was released.

Back