• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What are the key features of a good RTS game?

The General

All warfare is based on deception
When you're trying to choose a new RTS game to start playing, what are the main features that you look out for that are supposed to be what makes the RTS game enjoyable and engaging for you? If all those features are not found in the game, would you still consider playing the game?

Everyone has his own preference. For me, a good RTS game needs deep strategic options and balanced gameplay. Of the game has multiple viable strategies, whether it's rushing, turtling, or teching up, the game can be pretty exciting. The game should have a smooth interface and responsive controls as well. Strong multiplayer support with regular updates and a solid community also make RTS game good.

My most important featires are:

Solid campgn. This is a must.
Asymmetric factions. I want differences in strategy and tactics.
Mint unit design. I like WYSIWYG. If it looks like a tank iot should act life a tank.
Variations in play. Small maps, large maps, grand battles and skirmish actions.

I have always been a fan of good graphics, so the first thing I tend to look out for is the graphics. In a situation where the graphics are not up to my taste, the gameplay and features is another thing I tend to look into.

Back