• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What are the challenges of adopting VR in the RTS gaming genre?

King Belieal

Ready for deployment
We all know how Virtual Reality has revolutionized the gaming sector. But it seems the RTS genre is quite slow on joining the Virtual Reality revolution. Up till now, I only know of only one VR RTS game which is Endeavor VR.

Why is it that the RTS genre is not massively adopting Virtual Reality in gaming development?

Maybe because they feel that RTS games aren't exactly fast paced and action packed like the other genres?

I feel most people who turn to VR for gaming often do so because it is fast-paced and they can be fully immersed in that atmosphere within a fast-paced game.

When I think about RTS games and VR, I can't see it being something that would be overly popular which is why it has not been seen on VR and we may not see it on VR.

I think that RTS video games are slower and require more time, I don't think that VR is going to suit them very well, I think that RTS is better to play calmly and on a computer, console or mobile if that is the case, not in virtual reality.

At the moment I just don't see how RTS games would fare in VR. RTS games often requires thinking and calculations, most games that have been able to adopt VR are mostly games that requires a lot of movement.

Back