• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

What are The advanced micro-management techniques?

Blitz

Gets mad then gets over it
It's very crucial to understand micro-management strategy techniques in RTS games. Here is the illustration - if your base is under attack, you don't need to click around, trying to save the day. What you need do is use a technique I called "unit babysitting. This may sound weird, but here is the thing; in this technique, you are typically assigning specific units to specific tasks, which is more like having a personal bodyguard for your precious resource-gathering units. Trust me, this a game changer.

There’s more to micro than just assigning a unit to guard a harvester. Some other things to consider:

Focus fire: assigning all your units to hit a single enemy until it’s dead before moving onto the next one. In RTS a units capabilities are typically not impacted by damage so death is necessary. Also, you can use focus fire to hit low armour/high damage units first, like mobile artillery in Red Alert or to knock out mobile shield gens in Supreme. Commander.

Kiting: micro-intense, frustrating but a force multiplier if you can get it right. Keeping your units on the move whilst keeping up attacks on the enemy is a great way to frustrate your enemy. Most RTS units (in my experience) will roll into range and then remain static exchanging fire until one or the other is dead.

These two techniques can be combined into a move-fire-move system. Moving whilst reloading, fire, then move whilst reloading.

A static tank is a dead tank.

What other micro tactics are there that you use or that have been used against you?

Micro-management in RTS is all about executing commands quickly and accurately to gain an edge in battle, especially during intense skirmishes or when controlling multiple fronts simultaneously. The best thing you can do is by focusing on firing on high-value targets and splitting units to dodge area attacks.

The best thing you can do is by focusing on firing on high-value targets and splitting units to dodge area attacks.

What's the best thing to hit first? High damage targets or low hit-point targets?

What's the best thing to hit first? High damage targets or low hit-point targets?
I think it is a better strategy to target high-damage units first because the thread is immediate and also great. Interestingly, some people want to first eliminate low hit-point targets to reduce the number of enemies on the field.

Back