• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Was Luke Skywalker's big discovery predictable?

R2-D2

Occasionally wets himself under pressure
In The Empire Strikes Back, Vader is revealed to be Luke's father. Did anyone one see that coming or was it like the ending of the original Planet of the Apes where I think most didn't see it coming? šŸ˜³. I can't really remember what I thought (in relation to Star Wars) cause so long ago.

I honestly did see it coming. I also saw it ahead of time that Luke and Leia were twins. It was obvious if you paid attention to the signs. There were some subtle hints.

Vader being Luke's father is intuitive enough to guess, and strongly foreshadowed even in A New Hope. I'm much too young to comment if it was predictable in theater at the time though, and I watched it at a young enough age that I barely remember my impressions and probably wasn't thinking very hard anyway. I think it's more delivery than surprise that really sells the scene.

The Luke and Leia twins business was not exactly thought out however, this article offers a substantive overview but it's an (in)famous subject well covered in various places. If you had guessed it during the heyday of ESB then you were a step ahead of George Lucas.

I saw Star Wars when I was a kid, and the big reveal that Darth Vader was Luke's father, for me, was a Planet of the Apes moment. It was jaw-dropping.

However, now watching it in hindsight you can pick up on the clues even starting in A New Hope. And of couse, if you watch them all in order now, you're going to know, lol.

Back