• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

The Role of Supreme Commander in Development of RTS Genre

Battlemind

Gets mad then gets over it
I think Supreme Commander challenges the traditional real-time strategy gameplay mechanics by putting more emphasis on the large-scale strategic planning and resource management over micromanagement. I believe that has helped in the evolution of the RTS genre, mostly in the areas like player engagement and the tactical strategic depth. How do you view the role of Supreme Commander, particularly in the development of scale and complexity of RTS genre

There were no real-time strategy games before Supreme Commander; they were real-time tactics games. It was the first game to do large scale with hundreds of units and maps measuring up to 81 kms square. I can't put my finger on anyone who has done it to that scale since. We're going to have to wait for Sanctuary Shattered Sun.

Back