• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

The Role of Storytelling in RTS Games

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
Does storytelling make any difference to you in real-time strategy games?

Most games have a single player mode and a narrative campaign. How important is a good narrative to you? I personally enjoy being able to play through a story but feel most RTS experiences are a little bit impersonal. You're not going to care about a particular unit and the genre doesn't have that 'human element' you get with other game types. Do you care about the story or is it just a mechanism for moving between levels?

Last edited:
In my line of work as a writer, I place emphasis on the quality of storytelling. When I engage in real-time strategy games, I find myself immersed in the narrative, as it plays a key role in my overall experience. The story not only motivates me to actively participate in the game but also enables me to establish a deeper connection with the game characters. In addition, a powerful storyline makes the game more unforgettable. It also helps in clarifying the overarching goals of the game, which in turn improves my overall engagement.

Storytelling makes gameplay a lot more fun, it helps to explain why certain missions needs to be carried out, or why certain actions needs to be taken. Storytelling gives the players a sense of purpose and meaning.

Back