• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

RTS HQ The Last General: Putting the ‘Strategy’ back into Real-time Strategy Games

Articles from our main page.

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
The Last General, from solo-developer Alejandro Nunez, is a bit of a departure from what we have seen so far in the burgeoning indie RTS scene. Whilst most projects are staying true to the classic gameplay of Command and Conquer-style games, The Last General dares to be different. Alejandro wants to do away with the typical micro-management and predefined missions/scenarios which often take centre stage in real-time strategy, and instead provide players with a strategic experience focusing on large-scale modern conflicts. The Last General intends to put the ‘strategy’ back into real-time strategy games with an emphasis on broad strategic orders over individual unit control.

This... looks..... *HEART EYES*

Is it September 2025 yet?

"....when planning an assault on an enemy city, players will draw strategic arrows on the map, directing combined-arms troop concentrations to converge on the target from multiple directions. The game handles the execution, allowing supply lines to automatically support the frontlines. Players are freed to think more like a General and less like a G.I."

That sounds like it will be incredible. Huge amounts of courage from this dev to do something different.

Yeah, researching it I was just amazed by what Alejandro has planned. This could be a hit in the same way that Manor Lords was.

High praise for you to compare it to Manor Lords. That game is EPIC.

This... looks..... *HEART EYES*

Is it September 2025 yet?

"....when planning an assault on an enemy city, players will draw strategic arrows on the map, directing combined-arms troop concentrations to converge on the target from multiple directions. The game handles the execution, allowing supply lines to automatically support the frontlines. Players are freed to think more like a General and less like a G.I."

That sounds like it will be incredible. Huge amounts of courage from this dev to do something different.
'players are free to think more like a general and less like a G.I'
That is a very interesting concept. Can't wait to witness firsthand how it will be done.

The game looks very interesting from what I've been able to read from the article. It's now down to the waiting until around September 2025 before the game would be ready. I'll be adding it on my Wishlist on Steam.

I like what they are hyping up, sounds like a good game to boot up for an hour or two and kill time with.
It definitely looks like it mate. When a game brings so much to the table, it will always be easier to give it more playing time every now and then.

Back