• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

The Importance of Balance in RTS Games - How Do Developers Get it Right?

Ini

All warfare is based on deception
I have played some RTS game where one faction or strategy feels overpowered. This can be so frustrating and that's why balance is key to making RTS games very enjoyable and challenging as well. So, it's very important for developers to get this right. They need to create a balance between different playstyles and strategies.

I find balance very useful in RTS games in the area of resource development. It has to be that resource availability is designed in such a way that it is found in optimal supply to be utilized and not made too abundant for it to be trivialized. I think that is a complex process for developers.

In my opinion, it's all about play testing and community feedback. The developers need to make sure that they test different scenarios and listen to the concerns of the players. For example, I heard that in StarCraft II, the balance between Terran, Protoss, and Zerg are being tweaked based on the pro player's feedback and also based on the tournament results.

It's neccesary to ensure balance of resource management, unit counters, and map design . They all play a very crucial role in shaping the RTS games. Developers need to really ensure no single strategy dominates.

Back