• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

The Impact of Real-World Military Tactics on RTS Games ?

Ini

All warfare is based on deception
I’ve been meaning to look into the connection between real-world military tactics and RTS games. I really want to know how the actual military strategies influence game design and mechanics of the RTS games. I need you to share your observations and let's discuss on the real-world military tactics you have actually seen added to the RTS games.

In real life military battles, there is use of infantry and artillery to attack the enemy. Most RTS players use this tactic too. Some RTS use flanking which is an attack on an enemy's rear or sides. That is a deep war strategy used in real life military battles.

Ambush is also a strategy being used as an element of surprise to get the enemies when they least expect it. I like how RTS games bring to life tactics that are usually employed in real life

That's indeed a great topic! The RTS games is seen to use a combined arms which is straight from the real-world military. The games like Company of Heroes and StarCraft II require you to coordinate different unit types to achieve victory which is just like in actual warfare.

Back