• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

The Impact of Microtransactions on RTS Games - Good or Bad?

Blitz

Gets mad then gets over it
To me I don't see anything wrong with microtransactions on RTS games. It's one of ways the game developers rake in money. In simple terms, they are a harmless way to support developers. Some gamers might call it a sneaky way to drain their wallets. Whichever way, it depends on your understanding of microtransactions.

I've got a friend who believes it creates unfair advantages. Is this true? But I've actually seen games like StarCraft II handle them well, while some others like Age of Empires IV have faced lots of criticism also. It's your turn, tell me your take on microtransactions in RTS games.

Basically, I think microtransactions are bad for RTS games. My reason is, they create pay-to-win scenarios and that will make the game unfair for those who don’t want to spend extra money. That's indeed big issue for gamers. You can see that it has a negative impact on RTS games.

I see from both perspectives. The Microtransactions can be a very convenient way to get some cosmetic items or bonus content, but I also think they can affect gameplay and that’s a problem. My take is for developers to be very transparent and ensure fairness for all players.

I think that Micro transactions would are beneficial and could also be a potential negative if not managed well. The positive aspect is that it could make the game more interesting as players can acquire more skins and features. The other side is that it could create a dependence by players on money to win the game.

I think microtransactions are bad in most video games, it is just a way for video game companies to continue profiting from a video game that should be complete or should be completed simply by playing it and getting everything for free, I don't see microtransactions for skins or others as being so bad, or items that don't give you any advantage, but selling items that give you an advantage or other things is unfair in certain cases and can cause addiction as well.

Well, it is difficult to give a definitive answer. Microtransaction offer some benefits, but they also create some sort of impact on the gaming experience, in a negative way, of course. Microtransaction increases revenues for developers and they reinvest some of that money back to the game development. But it can have impact in game community as those who can offered microtransactions will have better abilities.

I think that microtransactions are bad in almost all video games, they should not sell you anything else in a game that should be complete from the moment they sell it to you, microtransactions only serve to generate more money, RTS should be free of this evil.

Though it can be annoying sometimes, but I also understand that this is one of the ways the developers can generate money for themselves to keep maintaining and upgrading the game from time to time.

Back