• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Stormgate

The General

All warfare is based on deception
Stormgate represents a promising new entry in the RTS genre with the game's story is set in a post-apocalyptic future where humanity faces a new threat from demonic invaders. The game will have a good story-driven campaign that can be played solo or cooperatively.

The game will be released in this sequence.

The Paid Early Access will be on July 30, 2024 while the Free Early Access will be on August 13, 2024.

Co-op campaigns are something which can be really good - if done right, but that are terrible if done badly!

I am going to try this out when the it will be available for free. I have seen mixed reviews of this game, some are calling it a great blend of classic RTS mechanics with fresh, innovative elements, whereas some are saying the game needs it own identity. It has 6 out of 10 start reviews on Steam, so I guess the game is above average.

I am going to try this out when the it will be available for free. I have seen mixed reviews of this game, some are calling it a great blend of classic RTS mechanics with fresh, innovative elements, whereas some are saying the game needs it own identity. It has 6 out of 10 start reviews on Steam, so I guess the game is above average.
Its available for free now. I am not entirely clear on the monetisation strategy. You can have free early access and also paid early access? Is it just additional content?

Its available for free now. I am not entirely clear on the monetisation strategy. You can have free early access and also paid early access? Is it just additional content?
Early access was only for paid users. It is now free to play on PC but I have not started playing it yet. I think the early access was given to collect feedback on the game. Early access was also for the unfinished game.

That's absolute correct! When you playing with friends, it can be super fun, but only if it's done in a way that makes sense. I haven't played this game but based on what I read, it's like a big adventure.

That's absolute correct! When you playing with friends, it can be super fun, but only if it's done in a way that makes sense. I haven't played this game but based on what I read, it's like a big adventure.
Yeah, you’re right. It's like playing with your friends in a big imaginary world. Stormgate's game world is similar to an adventure where you’ll have to fight against the enemies. The good thing is, playing with your friends makes it more exciting.

Yeah, you’re right. It's like playing with your friends in a big imaginary world. Stormgate's game world is similar to an adventure where you’ll have to fight against the enemies. The good thing is, playing with your friends makes it more exciting.
It depends on how good your friends are at the game and how they are collected together. Do players have alliances? Are they put together for each campaign round using tedious match keys that have to be swapped? What happens if none of your friends are online or play the game and you just want to play one day?

I'm not against the idea, but in practice it could be a mixed bag. I'm downloading this game now though because I want to play it and have a closer look at the mechanics.

Sorry for double post, but after playing the first campaign level I can see why Stormgate is attracting negative steam reviews. The first level of the Stormgate campaign doesn't play like a RTS, but rather like a point and click adventure game, and as point and click adventure games go, it's really bad.

Basically the developers waste a level having you move individual units around without ever having you deploy a base to deploy them from, and they don't explain, when they teach you to move the units, how to move the in-game camera. For RTS reasons the units and the camera aren't automatically locked together, but in point and click adventure they usually are. So I ended up using the arrow keys to move the camera instead of the mouse with the scroll wheel, which was tedious and annoying.

And then you're just moving and moving and moving, and all you get is a few data pads, a few enemies, and a deer until you run into something else on the other side of the map, with less story content that a point and click player would expect - the level feels open and unfinished. Some of this poor experience can be put down to newb clumsiness, but I can see RTS veterans getting mad that they can't play a "real" level. Introducing more RTS game mechanics and story content in the first level would probably help with the negative impression that they are getting.

Playing with friends is one of the best ways to play video games and have a really good time, but, if it is done with the right video game, I have tried many new video games with friends which we have not ended up liking, Stormgate may include the possibility of having fun with friends, but I don't know how good the game will be and if my friends will like it, I'm seeing mixed reviews about the game.

Back