• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Star Wars Director's Controversial Quote Resurfaces: Context Matters!

• Thread starter Thread starter Al
  • Start date Start date

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net

“make men uncomfortable”

The Star Wars community finds itself embroiled in yet another debate, this time centering around a quote from director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. It's disheartening to witness how certain factions within the Star Wars fanbase, and even politicians like Ted Cruz, are quick to criticize Obaid-Chinoy for a statement she made years ago in an entirely different context.

The controversial quote that has resurfaced, 'I want to make men uncomfortable,' is not a recent declaration tied to her upcoming Rey-led Star Wars movie, as some would have you believe. This quote is from eight years ago and was part of an interview discussing her award-winning films addressing issues like honour killings and acid attacks against women in her native Pakistan. In the context of her work, it's clear that she was referring to challenging the oppressive patriarchy she encountered in her homeland.

View attachment 137Unfortunately, this old quote has been plucked out of its original context and weaponized in the ongoing anti-women narrative that has persisted within the Star Wars community. It is being exploited to fuel the outrage machine, with YouTubers and critics speculating that her upcoming Rey film is doomed because of her feminist perspective.

This marks the second time in recent weeks that a quote from Obaid-Chinoy has caused a stir among this crowd. The previous quote, 'We're in 2024. It's about time we have a woman shape a story in a galaxy far, far away,' was intentionally misinterpreted by some who began listing important female Star Wars characters in response. However, Obaid-Chinoy was merely highlighting her historic role as the first female director of any Star Wars movie, which is an undeniable fact.

It's unfortunate that this promises to be a tumultuous journey. Obaid-Chinoy continues to express entirely reasonable sentiments about empowering women, yet individuals like Ted Cruz, Matt Walsh, and countless YouTubers with their substantial followings seem determined to challenge her at every turn. Meanwhile, her upcoming film focuses on Rey, a character often criticized as a Mary Sue during the new trilogy, which adds another layer to the ongoing debate.

Ironically, Obaid-Chinoy's quote about making men uncomfortable remains relevant today. However, instead of addressing the horrific acid attacks she has been fighting against, some men find themselves uncomfortable with the idea of a woman directing a Star Wars movie, featuring a female lead, and discussing it openly. It appears that the road ahead will be a long and challenging one for all involved in the Star Wars universe.

Polarization always damages the conversation. "make men uncomfortable" is a red herring for the reason I think the movie is rather risky; a director new to one of the most volatile spaces in the galaxy shall we say, using a character who I thought was abysmally written before and would be very difficult to make me like in any future project given I'd just as soon see the entire sequel canon disappear. But the thing is, it's not out yet, it's clearly coming no matter what, so keep an eye on more objective things like how development is coming and any details of what might be on the plate rather than vague sentiments about 'feminism bad'. If it is an undercurrent to a standalone movie then maybe it can be done decently. If it's really that bad of a standalone it can be ignored, if not give it a chance. No point fussing until you see it.

If it is an undercurrent to a standalone movie then maybe it can be done decently. If it's really that bad of a standalone it can be ignored, if not give it a chance. No point fussing until you see it.
I have an unconfirmed suspicion this is going to be the first of a new trilogy.

I have an unconfirmed suspicion this is going to be the first of a new trilogy.
It's going to have a hard sell to get over pre-established biases towards the character, and given the blog post perhaps the director as well. I have a feeling most of what is in the works is meant to feel out the territory and anything that particularly bombs will not see expansion, but if it is particularly successful you may be right.

Back