• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Star Wars - A Story of Love & Romance

Dismal_Bliss

All warfare is based on deception
Website
carnivoretalk.com
I have a lot of friends that picked on the budding love story between Anakin and Padme as one of the reasons they did not like the prequels. I personally liked it and this didn't bother me one bit. I also think it was necessary for his character arc.

Granted, he came across as a little desperate and cheesy, but that's not too inaccurate for a teen who's infatuated anyway, lol.

What do you think of this storyline? Do you approve, or would you rather fast forward through it? lol :D

It's good, it was even necessary, but the execution was iffy and I think the entire arc would have been better sold if Shmi Skywalker was more evident in his thoughts and more clearly reflected within his declining opinions of the Order and desire to save Padme at all costs. In other words the execution needed some work but the content itself is a critical insight in what eroded his thoughts of the order being just or at all necessary. This is another opportunity that TCW didn't really grasp and it's a shame.

The entire thing stinks of Oedipus Complex but I think that was entirely intentional. Anakin transfers his love for his mother onto Padme. That he cannot save his mother and the terror at the possibility of losing Padme is the reason why he turned to the Dark Side.

Absolutely but do you think it fits this situation?

No. One definition talks about the son's sexual attraction to his mother. I don't think this was neither hinted at nor intended in the film.

Another resource says "According to Freud, children view their same-sex parents as a rival for the opposite-sex parent's attention and affection." but Anakin had no father, so that's a nope on this account also.

Ok, so removing the sexual element for a second, Padme is significantly older than Anakin and I believe replaced his mother in many respects. He lost his mother and dreamt of losing Padme. He couldn’t lose a second maternal figure and this played the most significant part of his fall.

The entire thing stinks of Oedipus Complex but I think that was entirely intentional. Anakin transfers his love for his mother onto Padme. That he cannot save his mother and the terror at the possibility of losing Padme is the reason why he turned to the Dark Side.

That's weird. You know they say that daughter who have a bad or missing dad are messed up. I guess the same is true with boys and their moms.

Back