• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Snoke - What a joke!

Dismal_Bliss

All warfare is based on deception
Website
carnivoretalk.com
At least that is how many of us feel about this character. He came across as powerful, evil, and was set up to be the equivalent of the emperor in the sequel trilogy, and then suddenly gets snuffed out like it was nothing, leaving many of us wondering what the heck was his purpose in the movies anyway.

What do you think? Was Snoke a wasted character? Or do you think things went down in the film like they should have?

The Snoke followed by Palpatine situation was a victim of the writing problem, down to his role in the trilogy following a similar procedure as the presentation of Rey.

Besides that I'm not sure I was fond of him, generic baddie who was stealing palpatine's thunder and went out in a very fancy bathrobe. I think there's some merit to a general bad guy taking advantage of Kylo, who comes into his own and actually takes out his master who then slips ignobly by the wayside. Then, the true culmination of the series being the struggle to redeem him and really try to dismantle the Empire's remnants. Shades of this are what we got, if it had been explored better it may have come off well and Snoke would not have needed to be any deeper than the Palpatine of the original trilogy. However the third movie breaks any identity he may have possessed. That was disappointing.

Personally, I never had any hate for Snoke. The Supreme leader was one of a kind in his own way, although his weakness which was overconfidence was what led to his early demise. He assumed he could not be beaten or betrayed but that ended to be a wrong assumption.

I always liked Snoke. He was cool in The Force Awakens, but had almost zero time to shine after that. The directing and writing changes throughout the sequel trilogy were a disaster by Disney. From what I know, Snoke was basically a failed clone of Palpatine, which is fine, but the movies never really wrote that into the script. They basically just made it an inside info type of thing, which is a disastrous idea because it punishes causally Star Wars fans that don't have time to read the books/comics.

They basically just made it an inside info type of thing, which is a disastrous idea because it punishes causally Star Wars fans that don't have time to read the books/comics.

Like me, lol. I've heard this before from others too, that many of the holes in the story, and dare I say plotholes, are actually filled in for you if you read the books and the comics. Then you would have a better grasp of what goes on in the sequel trilogy, especially the latter episodes.

If this is intentional I think it is a lousy practice. A movie should be able to stand on it's own without needing supplementary material.

In the case of the Sequels which had a demonstrably troubled production, the only way you could patch them up is supplementary material that made sense of whatever was thrown out there. Unless the movies were redone themselves and I doubt they would consider that for some time... after a decade or so though, who knows?

Unless the movies were redone themselves and I doubt they would consider that for some time

There are a never ending supply of teaser headlines about Disney scrapping the sequel trilogy and doing 7,8, and 9 over again.

One can only dream :D

Whilst there is scope for further stories in the Star Wars setting it makes no sense to redo established lore.

Back