• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Rogue One

Darth Mike

Ready for deployment
Rogue One is the best of the Star Wars movies. Better even than the original trilogy. If you don't agree, you're wrong.

I loved the effects they had for Carrie and Peter. It was great to see them back even though they had already died in real life.

Nah. Empire Strikes Back is the best of the movies. It really took the movie to a dark place which wasn't revisited until Revenge of the Sith. Rogue One is a close second.

Rogue One is the best standalone and the most coherent Star Wars experience after Lucas stepped down. It took things down a different angle, which I appreciate (in a standalone, not as the second film to a trilogy >.>). I think it mostly benefited the canon but the ending was sloppy continuity. Vader catches right up to Leia and company and then in A New Hope it's obvious this close call was never considered. But the delivery of the Vader appearance is probably worth it. I'm not sure the Leia appearance was distanced enough from uncanny valley but it's impressive enough.

I have to agree that Empire Strikes Back is unmatched in delivery for a star wars movie, both at the time and even on a full rewatch. Rogue One was good but it takes ESB to really sell the original trilogy - the heart of Star Wars existing. In time you will see this, the bigger picture...

But again, I respect Rogue One as a solid entry and a fun watch.

I think it mostly benefited the canon but the ending was sloppy continuity. Vader catches right up to Leia and company and then in A New Hope it's obvious this close call was never considered.
I have to take a hard disagree here. :) If you consider them 'back to back' it really works:

I have to admit, the flow back to back is excellent. Better than expected as I haven't actually seen them combined properly.

The scruple I had with it - a nitpick in the first place - is Lord Vader's pretense at around 8:15 in the video about several transmissions being beamed to that ship. The earlier 'this is a diplomatic mission' exchange could be excused as Vader simply humoring the rebel but this bit rolls off oddly when the simplest way to respond would have been 'this ship ejected from a rebel ship and I saw it so cut the nonsense'. However seeing them back to back it is minor enough that I can say 'eh' and excuse it as a minor retcon of a single line which is overridden by Vader's response to her diplomatic mission argument before being taken away. What I'd thought initially and what I retained was a little more exaggerated than what I see in direct comparison and otherwise the cinematics blend very nicely, so thank you for calling my assumption.

Editing in since we're on this point and I looked it up further, it seems a short story compilation, From a Certain Point of View had one entry, the perspective of Captain Antilles that presents a time gap indicating these are not meant to be taken back to back - lending credibility to the diplomatic mission pretense and strengthening this transition. Apparently as well however these short stories can be contradictory and aren't the best example, but it's better than nothing. Someone with firsthand experience of these compilations would need to comment because despite being a fan I am not a dedicated collector and I can only look these things up online, without clear quotations.

Last edited:
Back