• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Return of the Ridley: A New Chapter in the Star Wars Saga

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
View attachment 118Daisy Ridley, known for her role as Rey in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, recently revealed that her upcoming return to the galaxy far, far away is far, far away from what she expected. The untitled film, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and set to take place 15 years after the events of The Rise of Skywalker, was officially announced at Star Wars Celebration 2023. Despite the unexpected nature of her reprisal, Ridley expressed her excitement about returning to the iconic role.

In an interview with Collider, Ridley shared her initial apprehension before the big reveal at Star Wars Celebration. She confessed, "I was shitting myself before I went on stage, because no one knew I was going to that. No one knew I was going to Celebration, bar like Kathy [Kennedy] and there were a couple of people." The actress admitted to feeling nervous about the secrecy surrounding her appearance, but the warm reception from fans at the event reassured her.

While Ridley is yet to receive the script for the upcoming film, she spoke positively about the story's direction. "I’m very excited. The story is really cool. I’m waiting to read a script because, obviously, I don’t have any other updates. It’s not what I expected, but I’m very excited," she said in the Collider interview. Further elaborating to The Hollywood Reporter, Ridley emphasized, "I haven’t read anything, but I know the story. It’s really worth telling, worth exploring, and I think people will be excited."

Interestingly, despite the film being announced in April 2023, Ridley disclosed that she hadn't been approached about reprising her role as of February 2023. The quick turnaround between discussions with Lucasfilm and her appearance at Star Wars Celebration added an extra layer of pressure. "I was so nervous. Oh my God," she recalled.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy had previously stated that the film, along with projects from directors Dave Filoni and James Mangold, was "pretty far along in development." However, news emerged of Filoni's promotion to chief creative officer at Lucasfilm. This development suggests a more involved role for Filoni in early development, working alongside Kennedy and head of development Carrie Beck.

As for the plot of the new Star Wars film, it is expected to follow Rey's journey as she endeavours to rebuild the Jedi Order after the events of The Rise of Skywalker. The film, penned by Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders) and helmed by Obaid-Chinoy, has sparked speculation among fans about the possibility of it being the start of a new trilogy. When asked about this, Ridley clarified, "I know the storyline for one film. That’s not to say that that’s all it is, but that’s what I was told about. And I imagine it will be the next film, I think."

With Ridley's unexpected return and the promise of a unique storyline, the Star Wars community is abuzz with anticipation for the next chapter in the iconic saga. As the details of the film continue to unfold, fans eagerly await the return of Rey and the exploration of a galaxy far, far away, 15 years after the events of The Rise of Skywalker.

Back