• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

PlayStation Portal Handheld’s Release Date Officially Revealed

• Thread starter Thread starter Al
  • Start date Start date

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
View attachment 56
The PlayStation Portal is tailored to offer portable gaming experiences for PlayStation 5 owners. It features an eight-inch, 1080p LCD display and supports remote play, allowing game streaming at up to 60fps. While the PlayStation Portal includes its own system-on-chip for running its operating system and connects to the Internet via Wi-Fi, it is not designed to run games independently. Instead, its primary function is to enable remote play on a PlayStation 5 through a Wi-Fi connection.

What are your thoughts on the new PlayStation Portal? https://eatsleepgamerepeat.net/playstation-portal-handhelds-release-date-officially-revealed/

My thoughts are thus: Sony have made a terrible error!

This could have been a gateway device to get people who have always been Xbox devotees to try Sony products. By giving people a cheap(er) option to access PlayStation exclusives they would open up a new revenue stream and give people a glimpse of the Sony catalogue. That way you may get conversions.

The only people who will buy a PSP are PS5 owners. That's not expanding your reach and it's limiting to a tiny potential market.

I really wish Sony made a new handheld rather than a remote play device for the PS5. You can already purchase a controller for your smartphone that allows you to remote play games on your phone. It's much cheaper, though depending on how old your phone is, it may not run that great. Even if the PSP (Playstation Portable) didn't do as well as the Nintendo DS, it still sold well. The Vita didn't though, I guess that's why Sony didn't bother to make a true handheld device.

This would have been a great idea if it was a standalone handheld but it is something that instead can not run anything independently and I feel that is where they went wrong.

A console that can run the latest games independently is what many gamers are looking for and Sony missed out on that chance this time.

Back