• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Open World RTS Games

Havoc

Victory through destruction
Have you discovered any games with RTS mechanics that also feature an open world? Instead of playing on a small map, you have a 64 by 64 KM map for instance, and you get to explore and play the game however you like.

I think technology has come far enough to enable developers to create such a game and for our computers to handle them. Have you come across such a game? Let me know below so I also start exploring!

Yes, I've actually come across a few open-world RTS games and a good example is Total War: Warhammer II. This game features a massive open world to explore and conquer at the same time. Another good example is Northgard.

Personally, I've actually been following the development of Iron Harvest for quite some time now and it's definitely an open-world RTS game too. That game promises a high level of freedom and creativity and it also allows players to build and manage their own bases and armies too.

I'm super excited about the games like Conqueror's Blade. It's another open-world RTS with a huge map to explore and conquer. It gives the payers enough room to build and manage their own cities, armies, and economies.

I think Nothgard is a great example of an open world RTS game. The game has resources scattered in every part of the world. Players are expected to explore as much to gather and build their civilization growth. And the game has dynamic real life events that can affect the player prompting the need to constantly adapt.

I know that open-world RTS games are quite rare but there are some that I do know of. One of the ones that I tend to hear about a lot when it comes to open-world RTS games is Northgard. Not an RTS game I have played myself but one I know gets played and seems popular.

Total War is the only RTS video game that I have played of this type, I have purchased Warhammer II but I have not tried it yet and from what I understand it also has a fairly extensive map, what I saw in Total War I liked speaking about the map.

Are they not all pretty much open world? You have to search the maps for resources, bases, and monsters.

Large maps with lots of resources are really a good thing to see in an RTS and I wish there were more of this type, small maps are good for battles, but not so much for collecting and accumulating resources.

Open World RTS combines strategy and tactics of traditional real-time strategy games with the vast, explorable environments of open-world games. Total War: Warhammer series is the best example of Open World RTS. Age of Empires IV is another good example.

I have never played an open world RTS game before but if it's like the other open world games where I can explore other places whenever I feel like, then it would be a whole lot fun.

Back