• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Older, Classic Star Wars Games - Which Do You Enjoy?

kensonplays

Ready for deployment
I haven't played much of any of them, just a few short bits here and there. Ones I have NOT tried are:
  • Dark Forces
  • Republic Commando

That will be KOTOR 2, Jedi Academy, Battlefront 2 in rough order. I can enjoy others but these are the ones I'm likely to actually come back for.

KOTOR 2 for story, but I wouldn't play again without the restored content mod as it is noticeably unfinished in vanilla. Apparently the company that made ports to other platforms also made some under the hood improvements. Hopefully the two pair up nicely and make a better experience then I remember. You'll notice it tops the list but I don't play it often. It's one of those games I feel I can only get the most out of once, maybe a couple more times. I play a certain way and that is the canon way of it for me, I'm not the type to play every which way with minute differences again and again.

Jedi Academy I play because mods good. End of story, check out moddb. Or Galactic Legacy in particular...

Battlefront 2 should still have a halfway functioning multiplayer community, and is a fun game anyway to give a shot.

Various old star wars games are available in fairly cheap bundles, there's one for under 30 bucks on Steam that gets you a bucket of neat Jedi Knight related games including Jedi Academy and Outcast, which is a nice one for story. In general the old ones aren't bad for the wallet to pick up and can pack quite a punch for gameplay.

I've heard good things about Republic Commando and Dark Forces but I have no experience of them. I do know Dark Forces is best served under The Force Engine which makes it run properly on newer systems.

That will be KOTOR 2, Jedi Academy, Battlefront 2 in rough order. I can enjoy others but these are the ones I'm likely to actually come back for.

KOTOR 2 for story, but I wouldn't play again without the restored content mod as it is noticeably unfinished in vanilla. Apparently the company that made ports to other platforms also made some under the hood improvements. Hopefully the two pair up nicely and make a better experience then I remember. You'll notice it tops the list but I don't play it often. It's one of those games I feel I can only get the most out of once, maybe a couple more times. I play a certain way and that is the canon way of it for me, I'm not the type to play every which way with minute differences again and again.

Jedi Academy I play because mods good. End of story, check out moddb. Or Galactic Legacy in particular...

Battlefront 2 should still have a halfway functioning multiplayer community, and is a fun game anyway to give a shot.

Various old star wars games are available in fairly cheap bundles, there's one for under 30 bucks on Steam that gets you a bucket of neat Jedi Knight related games including Jedi Academy and Outcast, which is a nice one for story. In general the old ones aren't bad for the wallet to pick up and can pack quite a punch for gameplay.

I've heard good things about Republic Commando and Dark Forces but I have no experience of them. I do know Dark Forces is best served under The Force Engine which makes it run properly on newer systems.
I haven't played thru all the way on the first two. Just lost interest, maybe cause the content is unfinished like you said in KOTOR2.

I haven't played thru all the way on the first two. Just lost interest, maybe cause the content is unfinished like you said in KOTOR2.
The restored content mod and recent performance updates merit a replay if you have an open schedule. Otherwise the remaster is something to have an eye out for, whenever it may launch.

I don't buy games directly at launch as a rule, even recreations (remember warcraft >.>) so that's whenever it launches give or take 3-6 months depending on reports.

The restored content mod and recent performance updates merit a replay if you have an open schedule. Otherwise the remaster is something to have an eye out for, whenever it may launch.

I don't buy games directly at launch as a rule, even recreations (remember warcraft >.>) so that's whenever it launches give or take 3-6 months depending on reports.
Some games I do buy at launch, despite reviews. Especially for games in the niche that I stream in.

But for games that aren't in my niche, I don't mind waiting.

Well, being that I love racing video games, my favourite classics Star Wars games will definitely be the Star Wars Episode I: Racer. It's an outstanding racing fun game. It's very simple to play but definitely difficult for you to master it.

Republic commando is one that I pretty much liked and played as it is a first shooter game. I enjoyed the Republic commando because it came close to painting a real picture of the star wars universe showcasing the thickness of the wars and the battles within. A game that was developed in 2005, but haven't faded since then.

Back