• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

New to Game Dev

x8bitReignbeaux

In basic training
Hi, everyone! Zach here. I wanted to join this community to hopefully find some support and build a community driven RTS game. I am teaching myself C++ and UE5 to eventually start building out my game idea. I am new to game dev and have wanted to make games since I was a kid but joined the Air Force instead of going to college after High School. After 6 years, I got out with a bachelor's in business administration and self-taught technical skills in Microsoft Suite, VBA, and a few other business intelligence tools. I took a Python bootcamp a few years ago and transitioned into data science, which kind of rekindled my desire to program and make games. Hoping to find some support here and build an awesome game. I am relatively new to the genre but have really been enjoying it which is why I wanted to potentially make an RTS game. Looking forward to chatting with you all in the forums!

Favourite RTS Game
Warcraft 3 - I really like the Hero system in the game and a good story
First RTS Experience
Age of Empires 1 or 2 I think when I was younger
Recent RTS Play
I have downloaded about 50 games or so to research RTS mechanics game-by-game :) Main ones I am focusing on are Age of Empires 2-4, BAR, Age of Mythology: Retold, Godsworn, and Warcraft 3.
Top RTS Recommendations
I really like Godsworn and think there is a lot of potential for that game
We're exciting to see what you're developing and planning. Happy to assist in any way you see fit.

Back