• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Is there a more hated character than Jar Jar Binks?

• Thread starter Thread starter Al
  • Start date Start date

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
Jar Jar Binks is one of the most polarizing characters in the Star Wars franchise. When The Phantom Menace was released in 1999, the character faced significant backlash from some fans and critics who found his comedic and bumbling nature to be annoying and out of place in the Star Wars universe. However, it's important to note that not everyone hated Jar Jar Binks, and some viewers, particularly children, found him entertaining.

That said, the Star Wars franchise has seen its share of divisive characters, and opinions about characters can vary widely among fans. Other characters, like Anakin Skywalker from the prequel trilogy, have also faced criticism and mixed reactions. However, over the years, Jar Jar Binks has become somewhat of a symbol for the polarized reception of the prequel trilogy. Some fans have also come to appreciate him in a nostalgic or ironic way.

Is there any character more annoying that Mesa Jar Jar Binks!?

The famous OT runner ups would be the ewoks. From the sequels it's a tossup between Vice Admiral Holdo, "Jake Skywalker", Rose, and Rey, though these are usually in the hard critic communities and not a sentiment shared universally. Really there's a whole set of punching bags if we look towards the sequels but I don't mention more because their criticism tends to be on different lines like missed potential. I don't know of anyone who's made a particular splash otherwise. If I had to stretch I know there's a good audience that isn't so fond of the inquisitor stuff from the animated shows, and while Ashoka has quite a few fans there are some corners of the galaxy that see her as Filoni's pampered mary sue.

There is no one as poignantly derided across the Star Wars universe and across fighting lines as Jar Jar Binks himself though. As children go I'm pretty sure he didn't fly off the toy shelves or get a substantial current of nostalgia, but I might be wrong and missed a quiet boom of sales proving he was actually a hit in that market. However, Darth Jar Jar is a badass, beware his wrath...

But lets make it interesting and say... in-setting. I think Anakin/Vader might be up there - the Emperor is a terror but something about Vader as an icon and to the Jedi, Anakin as a traitor to all the Jedi Order stood for incurs a certain level of emotional response hard to find across the galaxy, though I'm sure this doesn't extend as far to those sympathetic to the Empire. His redemption is unlikely to be well known, or to have changed a lot of minds. If Tarkin's destruction of Alderaan was better known I have a feeling he'd have been a candidate but I haven't heard evidence of this and he kicked the bucket quickly after that event. It's interesting to think about, a true lore master would have to comment further on this point. I would speculate that Chancellor Valorum as the figurehead of the Republic's late decay would have been the single most poorly received individual across the galaxy in his time and poorly regarded in history from there, through little fault of his own. But that is just a guess.

I never had a problem with Jar Jar Binks, and didn't really understand the backlash. It's a fantasy film franchise that spans an entire galaxy. Of course there are going to be a ton of species and a myriad of personalities. I like a good, serious film, with just the right touch of comedy.

There are some Star Wars things I could criticize and pick apart, but Jar Jar isn't one of them. Leave the poor Gungan alone, lol :D

"Gungans no dyin' witout a fight. Wesa warriors."

I think Anakin/Vader might be up there
Out of setting, whiney Anakin really ground my gears.
There are some Star Wars things I could criticize and pick apart, but Jar Jar isn't one of them. Leave the poor Gungan alone, lol :D
Never! Jar Jar was a terrible attempt by Lucas to add a kiddie friendly character to the movie.

Movies like Star Wars get too serious and we don't have Han Solo, so what do we do? I mean, look how Total Recall got ruined in the remake cause it just wasn't funny. 😭

Jar Jar is alright. The actor gets so much hate, which they don't deserve. It's not the actor's fault (totally) that the character wasn't written very well, IMO. The actor deserves nicer treatment, IMO.

Kelly Marie Tran got rather uncalled for wrath for her role in the sequels. I haven't seen as much about Ahmed Best at all but I wouldn't be surprised if he got hate mail. Dude just did his job... it should be no surprise but there can certainly be a dark side on the fandom.

Well, the truth of the matter is that Jar Jar was indeed hated on all floor by both the critics and audiences. Probably the main reason for such hate on him was that the Jar Jar's character was based on stereotypes of Black people like the Jamaicans. It was argued that his presence messed with the tone of movie.

Probably the main reason for such hate on him was that the Jar Jar's character was based on stereotypes of Black people like the Jamaicans

It's been 22 years since it's release and this is the first I have heard of this, lol. I ran with a pretty liberal and mixed crowd back then and never heard anyone mention such a thing. I suspect since he was disliked, reasons to hate him were kept getting piled on, whether it had merit or not.

It's been 22 years since it's release and this is the first I have heard of this, lol. I ran with a pretty liberal and mixed crowd back then and never heard anyone mention such a thing. I suspect since he was disliked, reasons to hate him were kept getting piled on, whether it had merit or not.

first time I have heard this also, and I would say this was not widely known or said in most circles...

Jar Jar was annoying, certainly not the worse character ever but they could have just dialed it down slightly instead of attempting to put in some slap stick character...

I think people are being too sensitive about all this stuff. I mean, come on, I don't think the Jar Jar thing was offensive. Well, look at where I'm from. You got the whole hillbilly thing in Tennessee, but honestly, I don't really care about it, unless some outsider makes a really dumb remark like mentioning the movie Deliverance. :D

On this one assessment, I completely agree with you because it's definitely how it works when someone is being a subject of hate which he or she played a very good in making it so with the people. So, Jar Jar gave the fans good reasons to spite him and they never held back.

Back