• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

In what order would you suggest someone watch the Star Wars movies for the first time?

Dismal_Bliss

All warfare is based on deception
Website
carnivoretalk.com
Many of us got to experience watching 4, 5, and 6 when we were young. With that, came the jaw-dropping excitement of Darth Vader saying to Luke Skywalker, "No, I am your father", among other things.

But today, we have 1, 2, and 3 (as well as 7, 8, and 9 if you think they should count, lol). It makes sense to watch them in Episodic order, since the whole arch is about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.

So if you met a newbie who was willing to watch Star Wars with you for the first time, how would you baptize them in the cinematic experience? :D

I would say, in chronological order:
  1. The Phantom Menace
  2. Attack of the Clones
  3. Revenge of the Sith
  4. Solo
  5. Rogue One
  6. A New Hope
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. Return of the Jedi
  9. The Force Awakens
  10. The Last Jedi
  11. The Rise of Skywalker

Rogue One runs into A New Hope. I posted a YouTube video elsewhere on the boards showing how seemless the transition is.

The thread is essentially complete, but the more curious viewer might supplement their watch of the Revenge of the Sith with another point of view.

Interesting. At first I was seriously considering devoting the 2+ hours to that, but then the language and word orders they would speak at the beginning during the battle started to irritate me, lol

1. The Phantom Menace
  2. Attack of the Clones
  3. Revenge of the Sith
  4. Solo
  5. Rogue One
  6. A New Hope
  8. Return of the Jedi
  9. The Force Awakens
  10. The Last Jedi
This.

But Solo is really not required. It doesn’t progress the story from what I can remember whereas Rogue One slips in nicely.

1. The Phantom Menace
  2. Attack of the Clones
  3. Revenge of the Sith
  4. Solo
  5. Rogue One
  6. A New Hope
  8. Return of the Jedi
  9. The Force Awakens
  10. The Last Jedi
This was exactly how I watched it and it built up nicely with the development of the story for me that way. So, if I'm going to recommend, I will definitely hand it out in this manner.

I think you need to see the original ones first, in the order they were made. The later ones are about before the originals, but the whole idea is that you've seen the originals first.

I think you need to see the original ones first, in the order they were made. The later ones are about before the originals, but the whole idea is that you've seen the originals first.

I will say that this helps with the light saber battles. In the more modern 1, 2, and 3, they are so fast paced. And then if you watch A New Hope right afterwards the light saber battles look like they are in slow motion, lol.

I will say that this helps with the light saber battles. In the more modern 1, 2, and 3, they are so fast paced. And then if you watch A New Hope right afterwards the light saber battles look like they are in slow motion, lol.
Yeah, that's very correct. I had the same observation too. Maybe there was some sort of feedback from how fast the light saber battles was so fast paced in the previous one's, so they had it toned down in the subsequent one's.

When discussing the viewing order in 2015, Lucas argued for perhaps the simplest viewing order: the chronological one, starting with 1999’s Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace and ending with 1983 Star Wars – Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

He said: “That’s the way they’re supposed to be done. Just because it took a long time to film it doesn’t mean you don’t do it in order.”

Back