• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

How much attention do you pay to scouting?

The General

All warfare is based on deception
If you ever want to be successful in playing RTS games, you must take your opponent scouting very serious. This is because when you're effective with the scouting of your opponent, you will have detailed information on their strategies and tech which will help you to adjust and counter them. Poor scouting will guarantee your defeat.

How much attention do you pay to scouting in RTS games?

Scout early, often and constantly. If you don't knoiw what your fighting you are never gonna win.

I have a detailed scout log and bookmarks. When I first move into an area, I scout all of the sanctuaries around me in a giant perimeter. Many of the sanctuaries around me are from dead players who don't play the game anymore, so it pays to know which ones are dead and which ones are live. For the games I play it pays to organize the scout reports and decide on an appropriate response.

For example:
If the sanctuary has no troops, troops are all dead, but has resources to take, send a march queue that has a troop load just big enough to get them. There's no need to send the whole army.
If the sanctuary has troops, but valuable resources to steal, send the whole army to kill the troops and take the sanctuary.
If the sanctuary has troops, but no or very little resources to steal, move on.

The early scouting helps weed out the dead players from the live ones. The dead players will never respond, but the live ones that are smart will respond to your scout by putting up a shield and thus save you the trouble and expense of having to deal with counterattacks.

If you ever want to be successful in playing RTS games, you must take your opponent scouting very serious. This is because when you're effective with the scouting of your opponent, you will have detailed information on their strategies and tech, which will help you to adjust and counter them. Poor scouting will guarantee your defeat.

How much attention do you pay to scouting in RTS games?
Scouting early is very important when it comes to RTS games. You need to get information on enemy movements and their base layout, make informed decisions and try as much as you can to stay ahead of them in the game.

If you would win, then you need enough information about your enemy. You need to know their strengths, weaknesses and everything possible. This will give you a leverage and make the combats more likely be victorious.

If you would win, then you need enough information about your enemy. You need to know their strengths, weaknesses and everything possible. This will give you a leverage and make the combats more likely be victorious.

Exactly how it is! Having basic details about your enemy and taking them by surprise is very important if you are playing to win. If you fail to get those details, then winning will be a very difficult assignment to achieve.

Back