• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

How does Culture influence RTS games?

Noobslayer

All warfare is based on deception
There is a big consideration of culture influencing RTS games. This can be seen in themes, narratives and how the game was being designed. An example is a game which reflects a historical period will certainly have names of those who played a role in those years as characters. What other ways can we analyse culture having an influence on RTS games?

The game environments are also peculiar to the culture mimicked. The architecture designs, buildings and amenities all depicts the impact of culture in games design.

Culture plays a key role in RTS games. Assessing the architectural design of in-game structures is an effective way to learn about the cultural background of an RTS game. In addition, including traditions shows an effort by the developers to showcase their cultural heritage within the game genuinely. This addition increases player engagement and involvement and gives a sense of authenticity to the whole game experience. When I saw my friend playing an RTS game before, I knew it was from Japan since they included samurais.

Most of the RTS games out there are usually based on real life cultures. Different cultures have different approaches when it comes to their strategy and even warfare in general, like how the Chinese carry out warfare is different from the Americans. You can often see these unique cultures during the gameplay mechanics.

Culture affects all areas of life, including video games and in this case RTS video games, developers are human people who have a specific culture and this will directly impact the development of their product, that is, its RTS video game.

Back