• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Historical Accuracy vs. Fun Gameplay

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
What is most important between historical accuracy and fun gameplay in historically-themed RTS games? Consider the different between the Hearts of Iron series which aims to be accurate and the more 'fun' gameplay of something like Red Alert? Which is most important to you?

I think looking for historical accuracy in games, TV shows, or even movies is a foolish act. That's because creator of these media always exercise creative freedom. Therefore, when I play RTS games fun gameplay is more important than the strict historical accuracy. Even though historical accuracy in games like Hearts of Iron can give you a good experience, I still enjoy the creative freedom in the games like Red Alert.

Fun needs to be first and foremost when designing games. You could have the most incredibly accurate game but if it plays like dogcrap its going to fail.

For me, fun gameplay is way more important to me than historical accuracy. I said this based on my preference and what I wanted in a game. If a game is boring or too realistic, I'll easily get tired of it. But if it's fun and also very engaging, I'll play it for hours.

Back