• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Does Fog of War Enhance or Hinder Gameplay in RTS Games?

Ini

All warfare is based on deception
The fog of war on one hand adds a layer of realism and challenge to the RTS games and it actually forces us to scout and adapt. On the other hand, it can lead to frustrating moments because of the uncertainty. What's your take on this? Do you enjoy the suspense of Fog of War?

I see the Fog of War has a double-edged sword. It's so realistic and it also add some level of tension to the game , but it can also lead to walling off your base. I have seen games like StarCraft II implement a features like vision-range indicators to definitely mitigate this.

Fog of War is a very crucial element of RTS games. It’s like a reward for scouting, exploration, and adaptability. Without it, I think most of the RTS games would become too focused on force and micro-management which might make it unappealing.

Back