• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Do You Think RTS Games Are Less Popular Today?

spongebob

Gets mad then gets over it
Do you think RTS games can be compared to how AAA games are very popular today? There have been so many opinions by different folk on how RTS games aren't keeping up with other types of games in the industry. This is probably why it would seem that RTS games are on decline.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's true RTS games are on decline or it's just a cold rumour without much to it?

Probably a little bit of a downgrade, but it is still popular for what I hear. Obviously, these days there are a lot of incredible AAA titles, so it is normal for RTS games to be a little bit bland compared to them, plus RTS games require strategy, etc. Nowadays, people like it very simple.

I think it's true that the RTS games aren't so popular. But I also do not think think they're declining in popularity entirely. Based on what I see, the AAA games are definitely dominating the market, but one thing I know for sure is RTS games have a dedicated fan base.

I think it's true that the RTS games aren't so popular. But I also do not think think they're declining in popularity entirely. Based on what I see, the AAA games are definitely dominating the market, but one thing I know for sure is RTS games have a dedicated fan base.
I agree with your point! For me, the genre is gradually evolving, and we need to know that the AAA games are often designed for a broader audience, whereas the RTS games only cater to a specific niche. But the RTS games still need to learn from AAA games in terms of production quality and marketing strategies.

I do not think so. I think they are becoming more "niche". Like, those who love them are still playing them and those who were really not into the genre are trying out other games. As for RTS games, developers are releasing amazing games, and they would not be doing so if the genre was not so popular

I do not think so. I think they are becoming more "niche". Like, those who love them are still playing them and those who were really not into the genre are trying out other games. As for RTS games, developers are releasing amazing games, and they would not be doing so if the genre was not so popular

There are still amazing rts games out there that are engaging and can help one become better at strategies. Anyone saying that they are being phased out doesn't really understand much about what the genre is all about at all.

There are still amazing rts games out there that are engaging and can help one become better at strategies. Anyone saying that they are being phased out doesn't really understand much about what the genre is all about at all.
I don't think it's possible to entirely phase out real time strategy video games because they have been around for a long time. The problem is that they are always in a strong competition with other big franchise games.

RTS games are not as popular as they once were, that is true but they do have a fan base that is dedicated and I feel when you have fans that are that passionate about certain games, they are the ones that can help the game thrive.

RTS games were really popular in the early 90s of the previous century but with thew popularity of console gaming and mobile gaming, people were less interested in RTS games and they became less popular. But I think RTS games are making come back and they are getting very popular these days

RTS games were really popular in the early 90s of the previous century but with thew popularity of console gaming and mobile gaming, people were less interested in RTS games and they became less popular. But I think RTS games are making come back and they are getting very popular these days
I'm not really sure of RTS games making a comeback to the point it was few decades ago. The younger folks of nowadays would rather play AAA games, but there are still people who don't joke with RTS games even now. Maybe if the gaming companies get more creative with RTS gaming world, they might be able to bring it back into competing with the AAA games.

The RTS games are actually adapting to changing player preferences. For instance, we witnessed this in the rise of multiplayer and esports in games like Age of Empires and Warcraft. So, the RTS games are definitely not on the decline.

Things keep changing over time and in the gaming industry, it have seen massive innovative changes. This is what made RTS kinda draw back a bit but their hardcore gamers are still making it count.

RTS games are not as popular as they once were, that is true but they do have a fan base that is dedicated and I feel when you have fans that are that passionate about certain games, they are the ones that can help the game thrive.
You are absolutely spot on @Shortie . We have the most dedicated fans who are passionate about playing the game. It is a good trait that you can't find with some of the other genres of games that we have.

I think that RTS games were never as popular as other video game genres, but it is true that today they seem to be somewhat less fashionable or in decline, but there are still many passionate players of this video game genre.

Things keep changing over time and in the gaming industry, it have seen massive innovative changes. This is what made RTS kinda draw back a bit but their hardcore gamers are still making it count.
I think the early 2000 was the golden period for RTS games. When Age of Empires II was released, it topped charts in many countries, and it was on top 20 games by sales for two years.

In a way I think so, I don't know the statistics of current RTS video game players, but it gives me the feeling that before they were somewhat more popular, although they are still a genre of video games that has a large market and many fans.

Back