• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Do You Find RTS Games Tiring?

Battlemind

Gets mad then gets over it
Well, real time strategy games are not like other games where you start shooting at something/someone or running away from something/someone, or going into adventurous places or assuming a role and getting immersed into the game world. RTS games require strategic planning, you need a lot of thinking (that's why they are called strategy games). Do you find strategy games tiring compared to other games?

I don’t find it tiring at all. In fact I find it more interesting and enjoyable because it requires me to use my critical thinking. Just when you think you have seen it all, something else will just happen and you’ll have to figure it out and understand it well.

Real-time strategy games can be very physically and intellectually taxing. These games' multitasking nature necessitates constant strategizing, resource management, and split-second decision-making. This might cause physical discomfort, particularly in the hands and wrists, following extended gaming sessions. I remember playing an RTS game for six hours straight and having trouble moving my hands the next day. LOL. The emotional toll of playing RTS games should not be underestimated, either, particularly when confronted with difficult in-game situations. However, it is essential to keep in mind that some players find the experience of playing RTS games to be extremely fulfilling, making the physical and emotional demands worthwhile. The impact of playing RTS games varies widely from person to person, depending on personal preferences and tolerances for physical, mental, and emotional strain.

I don’t find it tiring at all. In fact I find it more interesting and enjoyable because it requires me to use my critical thinking. Just when you think you have seen it all, something else will just happen and you’ll have to figure it out and understand it well.

That is the same here. I have enjoyed playing a couple of RTS games such as Dawn of War and the rest and what makes it exciting for me is the ability to build and counter attack your opponents. It is fun especially when you are winning.

If RTS games isn't your thing, you're definitely going to find it tiring to play because of all the things you have to do when they are supposed to or you're going to lose. I have loved RTS games for as long as I can remember, it's why I'm so used to playing the games.

I suppose they're not known for being relaxing. The pace can be frenetic and the needs to be a degree of micro-management and multitasking. That, by its very nature, is tiring. Concentration is tiring no matter what you're concentrating on.

Yes, I've fallen asleep playing RTS in the middle of events when I'm supposed to be awake. I've found that the best time to play RTS is early in the morning. Later in the day I am more likely to make mistakes or fall asleep behind the wheel.

I've found that drinking cranberry juice and, in the warmer months, a vitamin water concoction called JoyBurst is helpful when maintaining my energy levels. This is especially helpful when in-game event schedules force me to game at odd hours of the night.

Serious? What RTS games sent you to sleep?
Stormgate lol. The first level was so boring. Okay that is a joke as I am still awake.

No RTS have sent me to sleep. I mean, I fell asleep while playing Puzzles and Survival, but not because the game was boring. It's a consequence of late-night-playing with too many international friends. I am serious about falling asleep while playing though. My body shuts down after so many hours without sleep while doing physically or mentally exhausting activities.

This shutdown even happened when I was on the side of a mountain after I was climbing for 20 hours straight. I ended up pulling out a thermal blanket, putting my raincoat over my down jacket, and taking a catnap right there on the side of the hill. As a plus, after my nap I found my way out of the crater that my brother despaired of ever finding the correct way out of and got us back to basecamp.

Stormgate lol. The first level was so boring. Okay that is a joke as I am still awake.

No RTS have sent me to sleep. I mean, I fell asleep while playing Puzzles and Survival, but not because the game was boring. It's a consequence of late-night-playing with too many international friends. I am serious about falling asleep while playing though. My body shuts down after so many hours without sleep while doing physically or mentally exhausting activities.

This shutdown even happened when I was on the side of a mountain after I was climbing for 20 hours straight. I ended up pulling out a thermal blanket, putting my raincoat over my down jacket, and taking a catnap right there on the side of the hill. As a plus, after my nap I found my way out of the crater that my brother despaired of ever finding the correct way out of and got us back to basecamp.
Exactly that owls why you slept. 😀 I actually thought it was The RTS game that made you sleep. It’s like that for me in almost every game, if I have overworked myself during the day I would be so sleepy in the night.

I am still getting used to the whole RTS gaming thing so yes I do get tired. The first time I tried RTS games, I found it abit boring cause the whole game was slow paced for me. Trying it again after awhile, I don't get tired as quick as I used to, but I still have a lot of getting used to.

This is why I don't get into any kind of gaming including RTS games whenever I know my body isn't in the best condition. If I'm feeling weak or tired, there's no gaming for me because I know I'm never going to give it a 100%.

This is why I don't get into any kind of gaming including RTS games whenever I know my body isn't in the best condition. If I'm feeling weak or tired, there's no gaming for me because I know I'm never going to give it a 100%.
It is every game, not just RTS. If you are not totally relaxed you will not have a good experience. It’s not the game, but your state of mind at that moment that determines whether you will have great gaming experience or not.

It is every game, not just RTS. If you are not totally relaxed you will not have a good experience. It’s not the game, but your state of mind at that moment that determines whether you will have great gaming experience or not.
Agreed. If my state of mind isn't good enough and stable at the time when I want to play any RTS games, I'll pull out and look for another thing which will help with my mindset. Playing RTS games needs better mind coordination to plan, make decisions and strategize.

After a long day at work it is hard to focus and try to make a good strategy all you really want is to lay in bed :(

I find that gaming helps me to relax. RTS games included. Not fast-paced games, but slow burn log campaigns are strangely relaxing.

Yes, I have to admit that as I find some RTS games very tiring at times. The reason is the huge task you have to execute like constant need to think critically, manage resources, and also making quick decisions which can be mentally exhausting to me. It's also stressful to adapt to changing circumstances in the game at times but that doesn't say I don't enjoy RTS games. I do absolutely!

I don't really find RTS games tiring. It's so engaging and challenging. I like challenges and the complexity of these games keep me focused and well motivated. I understand that they require mental effort, but trust me,. it's so enjoyable.

If I'm not in the mood to play games, I don't. This includes RTS games as well. So the issue of being tired of a game is not there because I know that the only time I play is when the genuine desire is there.

It depends on the game and my playstyle at that moment. I must say that I get tired with some fast-paced multiplayer matches due to the constant action and the pressure to make quick decision. However, in games like single-player campaigns, I enjoyed it so much because it's less taxing.

It depends on the type of RTS game, how long I have been playing and other things, there are RTS games that I have played for years, as I did with Imperivm, Starcraft, Warcraft among others which did not tire me much, but with other games if it happened to me

I think it depends a lot on the type of RTS you are playing, there are some games that tire you faster than others, nowadays there are many new RTS that can keep you hooked playing for many hours and with many things to do, but there are others that are quite mechanical and boring, you have to choose very carefully which one suits you.

Back