• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Dave Filoni Takes the Helm as Chief Creative Officer at Lucasfilm, Shaping the Future of Star Wars

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
View attachment 105In a galaxy far, far away, Dave Filoni, the creative genius behind Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian, has ascended to a new role as the Chief Creative Officer at Lucasfilm. While maintaining his executive vice president title since 2020, Filoni's recent promotion was unveiled in an exclusive interview with Vanity Fair.

Filoni's influence on the Star Wars universe has been undeniable, having served as an executive producer for all live-action shows on Disney+ and slated to direct a film interweaving TV storylines. Now, as Chief Creative Officer, he is poised to play a more integral role in shaping the destiny of Star Wars.

Unlike his previous involvement in projects after their initial development, Filoni expressed excitement about being part of the inception phase when planning the future of the franchise. In his own words, "I'm involved at the inception phase. I'm not telling people what to do, but I do feel I'm trying to help them tell the best story that they want to tell. I need to be a help across the galaxy here, like a part of a Jedi Council almost."

As Star Wars prepares for a grand return to the big screen with several films in the works by James Mangold, Taika Waititi, Shawn Levy, and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, it's noteworthy that, at the moment, there are no new Star Wars movies immediately on the horizon. However, the franchise is actively expanding its presence through an array of live-action television series, with Dave Filoni at the forefront of this exciting movement. The franchise boasts an array of upcoming TV series, including Skeleton Crew, a coming-of-age story, The Acolyte, a historical thriller, and Season 2 of Andor.

Filoni also hinted at the exploration of a potential second season of Ahsoka, featuring Rosario Dawson as the live-action, grown-up version of Jedi Ahsoka Tano. Reflecting on his journey with Star Wars since directing The Clone Wars movie in 2008, Filoni emphasized the importance of first-hand experience to truly assist filmmakers and provide valuable perspectives on the challenges of storytelling.

Kathleen Kennedy, still serving as the president of Lucasfilm, and Carrie Beck, as head of development, maintain their crucial roles. Filoni, however, now weighs in on a narrative level, contributing his storytelling instincts and artistic vision to the overarching direction of the franchise.

The emphasis on live-action television remains evident. Filoni's promotion solidifies his position at the heart of this movement, promising a future crafted under the watchful eye of the man who brought characters like Ahsoka Tano and Ezra Bridger to life. While opinions may vary, Filoni's proven ability to create compelling Star Wars shows that captivate audiences and drive merchandise sales signals a steady hand guiding this powerhouse franchise into the next chapter of its epic journey.

I prefer his take over the mishmash that shaped the sequels and early Disney content, however I am not entirely sure his vision is the best for the series and I will watch this development with caution. I suppose it's the best we can hope for. May it go well.

Back