• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Comparison to the Roman Empire

R2-D2

Occasionally wets himself under pressure
Do you all see parallels between Ancient Rome and the empire? Do you see ones with the Soviet Union? What empire in history most resembles it?

The Empire tends to parallel strongly with Nazi Germany in everything from iconography to rise of power to confirmations from George Lucas himself. Other comparisons are more general in nature but they'd likely fit, as extreme dictatorships can be quite duplicative.

The Empire tends to parallel strongly with Nazi Germany in everything from iconography to rise of power to confirmations from George Lucas himself. Other comparisons are more general in nature but they'd likely fit, as extreme dictatorships can be quite duplicative.
How did the Empire rise to power?

How did the Empire rise to power?
Episodes I-III, supported by many centuries of careful sith engineering assisted by the namesake of yours truly :p

But for circumstance and the historic connection, it was made possible by the centuries long decline of the Republic which was probably closer to the Roman Empire in the sense of how it had incredibly broad impact across the universe and slowly nodded off into complacency. Such a state is ideal for people to stop caring about traditional structures and go 'well this guy looks interesting so why don't we just give him a go, it can't get worse can it'. Made worse when you have well-educated masterminds quite literally puppeteering things in the face of a hapless jedi order that lost its point and thought their real job was done a long time ago.

Episodes I-III, supported by many centuries of careful sith engineering assisted by the namesake of yours truly :p

But for circumstance and the historic connection, it was made possible by the centuries long decline of the Republic which was probably closer to the Roman Empire in the sense of how it had incredibly broad impact across the universe and slowly nodded off into complacency. Such a state is ideal for people to stop caring about traditional structures and go 'well this guy looks interesting so why don't we just give him a go, it can't get worse can it'. Made worse when you have well-educated masterminds quite literally puppeteering things in the face of a hapless jedi order that lost its point and thought their real job was done a long time ago.
The Roman Empire was at first a republic and then a monarchy, right?

It was a monarchy first believe it or not, before they tossed it out and did the Republic business for a while, and then their famous tenure as an empire.

This is interesting. I've never thought about comparing it to any actual modern-day government.

The whole Anakin is the "chosen one", saviour, with no human father, as well as the Force is ripped right out of the Bible. Not surprising though given it's place in modern literature. Superman does the same thing (the son sent by the father to save mankind, etc etc).

This is interesting. I've never thought about comparing it to any actual modern-day government.

The whole Anakin is the "chosen one", saviour, with no human father, as well as the Force is ripped right out of the Bible. Not surprising though given it's place in modern literature. Superman does the same thing (the son sent by the father to save mankind, etc etc).

Superman is definitely my favorite comic character. Batman is OK, but definitely Superman sort of molds into that "Christian thing" you speak of.

Back