• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Can you play RTS game forever?

Tank Commander

Ready for deployment
How long is a typical RTS game? Can you play for hundreds of hours and still enjoy the game? I guess the RTS game ends when you complete everything and are pretty much done with everything. What do you think?

I can play RTS games for long periods of time without becoming bored out of my skull. When I discover an RTS game that I can latch on to, I get quite excited and inspired to finish it. However, there are times I give up when playing an incredibly complex RTS game. On the other side, the sense of accomplishment I get from completing an RTS game is fantastic. It makes me feel more accomplished and triumphant in real life. LOL. It also helps me cope with anxiety and stress.

I cannot imagine to play RTS games or any other games forever. I am find with 3-4 hours gaming, anything more than that will get into my nerves. Well, completing the game matters to me but sometimes I cannot because I just cannot do it no matter how hard I try, and in a frustration I give up.

That's a tough question. I think that a typical RTS game can last anywhere from 10 to 100 hours if I'm not mistaken. The hours is largely dependent on the game's complexity. But in my opinion, some of the RTS games offer near the endless features like multiplayer and mod support.

I see games like StarCraft, Warcraft, and Age of Empires have a dedicated communities and what excites me more is the constant updates. This can actually extend their lifespan indefinitely.

The fact that I can explore custom maps, try new strategies, and compete with others online makes it timeless. Because there's always something new available for me to discover.

Yes, I could, as long as I try new RTS games over the years and try new things in the RTS ecosystem, the RTS genre is a genre still evolving and I think it has many things left to bring to the table and a lot of evolution.

I don't know if it will last forever, because every day I play less video games in general, since I don't have as much time as I would like, but I still continue playing this genre of video games so I don't think I will abandon them.

No I cannot play RTS games for hundreds of hours, even other regular games such as open world fantasy and adventure games, I do take breaks after playing for a while. My work also won't allow me play for that long.

I doubt it, I could play it for a good while, but I know I would get sick of it and need to move onto something different.

Well, it actually depends on the kind of RTS games that they keep developing for gamers. If they keep being creative and innovative with the games and also with improved game mechanics, I think I'm going to keep playing.

Back