• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Best starting strategies for beginners in RTS Games

Blitz

Gets mad then gets over it
I remembered when I first started playing RTS games, I was totally clueless at that time But, after lots of trial and error, then, I finally figured out the best starting strategy that really worked well for me. Let me explain how I used the strategy- first thing first, you need to focus on resource gathering and building a strong economy.

This could be likened to building a house, in which you would need a solid foundation before you can start to add fancy stuffs. You feel me? I like to start with a few resource-gathering units, make sure to get them working ASAP, and then gradually expand my base.

Games like StarCraft can punish you for such a strategy. An early rush with a few units at the start of the game can attack construction units and frustrate your attempts to establish an economic base. Different games require different strategies. Different enemies require different strategies.

I think beginners should focus on economy first, they need to build up resources and infrastructure before getting into combat. The beginners should try to scout early to know the map and enemy positions. They should also practice micro-management skills.

Best advice: YouTube. Watch how others play and pick up on their strategies.

For beginners, I believe staying relaxed and calm can be a great way to play RTS games. When you are relaxed, you can be able to make key decisions on strategies that you can use. When you rush, you may end up making different mistakes.

I prefer focusing on a particular unit and mastering it. Many make the mistake of trying to get into all at once, this rarely works out well. Have mastery of your unit one after the other.

Back