• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Any good RTS game to get started?

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
What RTS game would you recommend to someone who was new to the genre as an 'easy in'? Something that's fun, quick and not going to overwhelm them.

I'd recommend a newbie to start with something like Age of Empires IV or StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. I recommend these games because they are so engaging and easy to learn as well.

A really good option would be the Command and Conquer Remastered Collection. Best of both worlds. Old school gameplay wit updated graphics.

If you are intimidated by the complexity of RTS games, I believe 8-Bit Armies is a great game to start. Rome Remastered is an great RTS game for beginner.

Do you agree with the suggestions?
Well, I have not played most games on the list but the list also includes some of my favorite games such as Lord of the Rings and Hearts of Iron. I am also a fan of Total War series and the list include one Total War game.

Hmm, yeah. I wouldn't have included Total War on a real-time strategy list. Its certainly more turn-based than RTS.

Here's a good list to start with:

Do you agree with the suggestions?

I am wondering if this review hits home for any Homeworld players: Homeworld 3 review: a lavish and often gripping RTS that is overly reliant on playing the hits

I'm not sure that I recommend a 3-D game with control struggles to a player new to RTS. I remember my first experience playing Star Trek Online, which is not really an RTS apart from the PvP arenas. Star Trek Online is more of a story based RPG with spaceships, but it has the 3-D game with those control issues. I think a beginner really should start with a 2-D game on a flat map and then graduate to 3-D, otherwise the complexity of 3-D navigation will likely inspire them to quit. (It probably didn't help that I was playing STO on DSL with epic lag, but point still stands.)

Perhaps the best answer to the title question may be "it depends on the beginner". If someone is used to playing spaceship games, they might be better starting with Homeworld, but if not, I think a flat map game is probably the best choice.

Back