• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Andor

• Thread starter Thread starter Al
  • Start date Start date

Al

Howdy, I'm Al
Staff member
Website
rtshq.net
Andor is Star Wars for grown ups.

Star Wars was (and is) always a hopeful story for kids. Andor took the Star Wars narrative and made is accessible by adults who may have never bothered with the franchise before. Do you think Andor is the way forward for Star Wars, moving away from Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks and into more serious areas?

Of note: Andor creator Tony Gilroy announced at a Star Wars Celebration event in London that the show's second and final season will debut in August 2024. "We started shooting in November," Gilroy said. "We're halfway. We will finish shooting in August, a year on post, and we'll come out in the following August."

Star Wars should really have multiple angles at the same time, but I think it would be very foolish not to continue the tone of Andor in some form or another. Rogue One was a nice precursor. It's a shame to hear Andor is coming to a close this soon but I don't believe in dragging on either, if it finishes then so be it. The occasional silliness, lighthearted or "noblebright" storytelling angle is totally fine. Really I think that should be separated from the fact that Andor is also a nicely composed narrative. It's quite possible to make something the quality of Andor, or even similarly 'adult' in what it explores, but brighter in tone. There's no issue to sprinkling in jokes or less serious characters and setups. Ewoks and Jar Jar stand out because they're more... jarring, compared to the rest of their respective narratives. There is room to compromise here.

And frankly Star Wars was never just a hopeful story for kids: it's a setting that works for an entire family, adults included. Digestible for kids but with recognizable adult themes and universal principles, some deeper insights to make you think. The original trilogy had its ewoks, the prequels had their Jar Jar but both sets can appeal to adult sensibilities and have plenty of redeemable aspects besides. Lucasfilm should not lose sight of this and nor should we. There's a reason much of Star Wars appeals long, long after its original fans have grown up besides notalgia.

Here's to more of the spirit of Andor, and raising the bar for the setting besides.🍷

Back