• Welcome to the RTS HQ Community Hub. Join us to discuss your favourite real-time strategy games! Enjoy exclusive insights from indie devs, participate in tournaments, and explore discussion forums - all focused on real-time strategy. Register now and become part of a welcoming community built by RTS gamers, for RTS gamers.

Anakin's Force Ghost is Looking Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Dismal_Bliss

All warfare is based on deception
Website
carnivoretalk.com
At the end of Return of the Jedi, Anakin's force ghost was originally an old dude, namely, actor Sebastian Shaw. But in editions released after the prequel trilogy, Anakin's force ghost is portrayed by very young actor Hayden Christianson. As with all things Star Wars, this gave birth to a never ending debate: should the force ghost had not been tampered with?

Points of view are usually split down generational lines. If you were a fan of the OT, you preferred it the way it was. If you were young when the prequels were hitting the screen, you don't mind the change.

I recently heard that George Lucas reason for this is because you could only be a force ghost if you were a Jedi, and young Anakin was a Jedi, whereas old Anakin was a sith, at least up until his dying breath.

Essentially all of the OT's changes come down to continuity with George's evolving view on the universe at large, while I'm generally not fond of this sort of micromanagement I tend to accept it and view the original edit as just a novelty. This is a prime example. The force ghost thing doesn't matter either way but I think it has more meaning in its updated form. I would not undo it now.

Back